The museum is established at Nautelankoski
The local history museum was transferred to the site of the demolished miller's cottage and placed on the surviving foundation in 1992 – the same year the renovated grain mill was opened to the public. The local museum opened to the public four years later, designed to look like the miller's cottage. In 1996 the municipality of Lieto and a local collector, Lauri Nautela, created the Nautelankoski Foundation to foster and manage museum activities in Lieto. Thanks to a generous donation by Lauri Nautela the construction of a new museum building at Nautelankoski was completed in 2000.
The museum expands
The municipality of Tarvasjoki merged with Lieto in 2015, at which time the collections of the Tarvasjoki local museum united with the Lieto museum. The phases of the Tarvasjoki museum are announced on the Tarvasjoki website.
The History of the Lieto Museum
The Lieto Museum was founded in the early 1950s. Already in 1947, the Southwest Regional Council of Finland had proposed to create a museum out of the Jonkari farmyard, located in the village of Hakula, but the project did not materialize at the time. In 1951, Paavo and Paula Jonkari donated the farmhands' cottage from the farmyard for use as the Lieto museum. They also donated artifacts from the farm for use in the museum.
From the Jonkari's to Villkimäki
The farmhands' cottage was transferred from the Jonkari's to the Museum Hill plot which was adjacent to the Hakula Vilkkimäki dairy. The Museum Hill plot also received the Teijula farm's granary barn, which was first stored on Pahkamäki school land. The museum was opened to the public in 1955. These two buildings operated as Lieto museum until the mid-1980s, when the museum building was found unfit, and was closed to the public. At the same time, the municipality of Lieto bought the Nautela plantation grain mill and adjacent riverside. These lands are near the Kukkarkoski ancient sites, and had been previously owned by the City of Turku for about twenty years. The municipality of Lieto decided to renovate the mill into a museum and establish a nature trail within the protected area around the rapids.